We applaud you for choosing to travel to America, the land of opportunity!
Whether you are travelling as part of a corporate relocation, coming home after living in Canada, or simply heading out to try your luck at the American dream, getting you and also the possessions of your family across the border and to your new home in the USA is now your first priority.
For reliable cross-border moving services from Canada to USA, you can contact Miracle Movers who have a long track record to execute successful cross-border moving services.
Your moving company will need copies of the following few documents before proceeding to the US border with all your personal household items. You must also keep a few copies for yourself too.
- Two copies of your 3299 form duly completed
- One copy of each page of your passport for you and each other accompanying family members
- One copy of your birth certificate and all family members
- One copy of your I-94 forms
- One copy of your work visa
- One copy of your confirming job offer letter from your employer
- Two copies of completed EPA 3520 and HS7 forms for each automobile
- Original and one copy of ownership proof for each vehicle being shipped
- Original and one copy of insurance proof for each vehicle
The following few tips can be very useful for your moving to the USA from Canada.
1. Confirm if you need to pay any departure tax
A departure tax might be applied to Canadians who want to relocate to the USA or another country abroad and stop being considered Canadian citizens for tax purposes.
This does not always apply; thus, it is important to confirm whether you must make payments on your assets.
2. Check your status of the USA visa
Although Canadians do not require a visa to enter the United States, you must apply for the appropriate visa if you intend to live or work there.
You must indicate that as a Canadian, you are going to reside and work in the US.
3. Open in the USA your local bank account
If you bank locally in the US, getting access to your money is a lot simpler. One of the first steps in moving to the USA as a Canadian is to open a domestic bank account to easily deposit your US paychecks.
Since many businesses accept a bank statement as a part of your evidence of residency, having a US bank account also can help you access additional services.
4. Check what you can bring with you while moving to the USA
All household furnishings that you acquired abroad can be imported free of any duty if they can meet a few key conditions for items like:
5. Check with American customs
Your mover will not be responsible if there is any objection to certain items from customs authorities. Therefore, to remain on the safe side, you must check with the American customs authority beforehand.